Thursday, June 12, 2008

Remnants of a Treasured Life

The 8th of June marked my 18th birthday, and though I could blabber incoherently for hours about the minor changes this brings to the life I've known, I choose to look back. This birthday will not remain in my memory for the celebrations, the calories gained, or gifts received, but, if anything, it shall remain in my memory on account of a simple phone call. It's incredible to consider the number of people who influence us in one way or another over the first 18 years of the incredible odyssey that is life. We remember our parents who helped us recover from every fall, rise from every debacle, and guide our every step. We remember our siblings, whose love, though camouflaged through their mischief and name-calling, is never-the-less, more bankable than the dearest of friendships. Yet, there are others, whose faces remain hidden in the shadows. At times of need, they prove truly indispensable to us, and yet, for them, the need for recognition never arises. We forget the person who held the camera, taping our parents as they guided us through our first steps. We forget the tender hands that nurtured us when our parents couldn't. We forget those eyes that watched our each step we took, waiting to catch us before we tumbled to the ground.

Just one such person comes to mind vividly. The formative years of my childhood were spent in a small apartment in the staff quarters of the WREB, located in Andheri West, Mumbai. My parents were both working, and after my birth, had to hire a young 18-19 year old girl living in the "jhopad-patti" near our locality to look after me. Her name was Shubhangi, and till date, I don't know her last name, for I have always addressed her only as "Didi". Didi stayed with us full-time, and though it was an expensive proposition, from the day of her arrival, she became deeply cemented in our hearts. She was as much a part of our family as I was, and we were inseparable. She catered to my every whim, took care of me when I was ill, and fulfilled every duty that one would expect only of a mother. The first sight of her each morning filled me with joy. She was my companion, my playmate, my best friend and my caretaker. My brother, too, loved her in much the same way that I did. We played, laughed, cried and sang away the 6 most glorious years of my life. Shubhangi Didi brightened my life to such an extent, that the transfer from Mumbai literally broke my heart! Didi loved us like her own blood, and till today remembers to call on occasion to hear from us. A lot of others may forget, yet she has never failed to call me on my birthday. This 8th of June, too, was no exception! She may have her own family to concern her now,yet, even after 12 long years of separation, no water seems to have passed under the bridge......and her love for us remains unchallenged! In what way, can my gratitude ever be enough??? At a time in my life where I face the proposition of perhaps leaving home, venturing into a city where I have no contacts.......it's humbling, and so incredibly heart-warming to know that Didi, living in a rural town in Maharashtra, still prays each night for my well-being.

She has shaped my life in ways not many others will ever manage. She will forever remain dear to my heart. Here's hoping that she forever finds favour in the eyes of the Lord, that he may shower upon her every blessing which she so richly deserves. May she find happiness and peace wherever she is. Her memories shall abide with me for as long as I live!

No comments: